Monday, October 4, 2010

Whale Watching 2010!

October 3, 2010
Scott, Trent and Fletcher (Trent's friend) made plans to go ride dirt bikes today so I decided to go whale watching.  The guys get seasick.  I got up especially early on Sunday to get to Monterey by 9:00 am.

It was an overcast day and a little chilly.

California sealions saw us off for our trip as we left the harbor.




In addition to the sealions, we saw pelicans, sea otters and lots of birds.


The skies were gray but the water was smooth!


It's kind of hard to see in this photo but there were tons of sea nettles (jelly fish) in the water.  See all the orange in the photo below.  You really should not swim in the Bay.



After about a 45 minute boat ride, it didnt take but a minute to start seeing whales.  There were so many and they were so active.  There was lots of "lunge feeding" going on. 

 At one point there were whales in every direction you looked it was amazing.









This is a video I shot of the whales.  I am sorry for the quality, videos seem to loose resolution when they are compressed.


This is the restaurant where I had lunch after the trip.


No trip to Monterey would be complete without a pic of the little crabs!


My view during lunch, after the boat ride I became cold to the bone.  The temps were in the 50's and the wind was colder on the water..brrrrr


The Petite Crab Louie salad and bowl of clam chowder hit the spot!



After my whale watching trip I ventured over to Point Pinos Lighthouse.  I've tried many times to get close to this lighthouse but it is never open when I am there.  I got lucky today!


Robert Louis Stevenson was visiting the lighthouse ~ what a treat :)

There is a beautiful cemetary across the street from the Lighthouse, El Carmelo Cemetary.  It is very old and is just beautiful with all the Cypress Trees.  It also has a lot of deer there.  I think I saw 4 or 5 deer in the cemetary.





After visiting the cemetary I thought I would check out the Monarch Sanctuary.  Each year hundreds of Monarch butterflies are supposed to gather here beginning in October.  There were not any butterflies there yet but I did see 3 more deer!


This was a mama and baby - you just cant see that very well in the photo.


It was yet another great day in Monterey.  The whales were AMAZING.  I am scheduled for another trip this coming Friday ~ cant wait.

Please remember there will be tons more photos published on the http://www.californiashutterbug.com/ website.

~~~Carol~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment